Thursday, December 11, 2008

Venting Rampage.....Again!

Last week, I was very busy with various things throughout the week, so the housework suffered. By the end of the week, I was in a ton of pain, because I really overdid it last week, thinking I could conquer the world, and my body reminding me that I really can't.
So, the house is a disaster. I mean a total disaster! I would post pictures of how dirty it is, but let's get real....that would be embarrassing!
So, I start today on my quest to get it cleaned. Now, last week the comment came up with a friend of mine that her husband would not like it well if she expected him to help out around the house! Me however, I do expect Steve to help. I just don't feel like I can possibly do everything by myself. I put a lot of time into my children, making sure all of their various activities are taken care of, the homework, volunteering in their classroom, being room mom for both boys....etc, as the list could go on an on, and I am sure all of you mothers understand! I don't expect Steve to do everything, but he does occasionally do a load of dishes, fold the laundry, and sometimes even cooks dinner. I think I have a great husband and he is very helpful. But, after this conversation with my friend, I started to feel like a total looser that I can't possibly do everything....and stay sane! She was saying that as a stay-at-home mom, it is her job to do everything. However, I think being a stay-at-home mom means that my kids are my job and my first priority! Not that either she or I am wrong.....just a difference of oppinions. I guess I was just left the conversation feeling like a loser!
So, and here is where the ranting starts......Today, I was going to be the perfect stay-at-home mom and accomplish everything. Breakfast was served to everyone, and they were all dressed, in warm clothes straight from the drier! The kids got to school on time, despite the 10 feet of visibility through the fog. Averi and Wyatt both got put down for their morning naps. The cat got fed. I scanned important documents into my computer, only to find out that I can't email them where they need to go, because my computer is malfunctioning! Therefore, a ten minute phone call was made to fix the problem. Then, I made six phone calls to parents to try and get them to help me with the two Christmas parties that the boys have next week on the same day that I am in charge of. I saved the cat from the Christmas tree that Averi stuck him in, and then turned around and saved the cat that Averi locked in our entertainment center. I watered the Christmas tree. I started a load of laundry, and then decided, o.k....now its time to tackle the housework! Remember what a disaster it is because I was in too much pain to clean it last week.
Here are my thoughts on cleaning the house:
* Is it really that hard to put shoes into your bedroom when you take them off?
* Is it really hard to put your dirty socks into the dirty clothes pile?
* When you drink a soda, is it really that hard to take an extra three feet and put in into the recycler bag, than it would be to leave it on the counter top?
* Is it really that hard to put a pencil away in the pencil box after you use it?
* And toys...lets not ever get started with how hard it would be to put a toy away after playing with it!
* Is it really that hard to hang up a towel after you use it?
* It is really that hard to take an extra step to throw a wrapper away instead of throwing it on the ground for Mom to clean up?
* Is it really that hard to put dirty dishes into the sink after you use them?
* Is it really that hard to replace the trash can liner when you take the trash out?

O.k., I think everyone gets the point! The problem is, I have only been cleaning for about 1/2 hour! I'm sure the list will go on and on during the day.
My point, and yes I am finally getting to it is this: Am I the only 'loser' out there that expects help from my husband? And my last thought, I don't think that I have properly trained my family on these various points described above? Hey, it sounds like a good topic for our next FHE!

Wish me luck...I still have to finish cleaning the house, run to the dollar store, run to the grocery store, help the kid with their homework, work on sewing Averi's quilt for Christmas, study at least two sections for my BYU distance course, and mow the front lawn!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jen, I love your ranting and I'm so sorry I haven't called you back. I've actually been busy so it's been nice. I promise I will call!!

But anyway I have a friend who's husband doesn't do anything around the house either and I think it's RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

Just because your a stay-at-home-mom doesn't mean you are in charge of EVERYTHING at home. You are working just as hard as your husband if not harder. When you leave the kids with your husband does he have everything sparkling clean, heck no, mine doesn't. He always tells me to be happy the kids are alive when I get home from where ever. My husband helps with everything. Yes, most of the time I need to ask him but he will help without complaining. He realizes that I "WORK" all day long too. It's not the same type of work that he does but it's just as important if not MORE important to raise our children in the ways that we would like them to be raised. He realizes that if he helps,it make my burden lighter and his life happier!! :)lol So please don't feel like you have to be the perfect home maker stay at home mom. I believe there was a talk at one of our stake conferences (it may have been during general conference, not sure) about how fathers should be helping their wives at home more.

That's my two bits, anyone else want to have a go.

Marlo said...

Hi Jen... as for me and my house, I have to count on my kids to help out, they have their job chart, besides keeping their room clean, and it works pretty well. Jared will help here and there when he can. He does all the yard work... which I am very grateful for. and he also releives me of the kids when he comes home from work... which is usually what I need the most. Every household works differently, but hopefully our husbands help us out in some way.

Lani said...

All you can do is your best and somedays your best is waking up and making sure your kids are alive and breathing and fed.