Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Test Results

The last couple of nights have been rough. I have turned into an insomniac, due to anxiety over the test results. Now that I made it through the amino, I need to prepare for what comes next. Today, I had a chance to take a nap, and I actually prayed that I would just be able to get some rest so that I will have all of the energy and strength that I need to deal with the test results. I immediately felt such a sense of comfort and peace, knowing that I will indeed have the strength to deal with this, and I crashed for 1 1/2 hours!
This afternoon, the lab called me. Since I didn't expect the results for another week at the earliest, I was immediately thinking that they didn't collect enough amniotic fluid to do the necessary test, and that I would have to go back for another amino! But, the lady said, "I have some good news for you. Your baby is fine and all of the chromosomes are normal. She doesn't have down syndrome and is in fact very healthy from what we can tell." I immediately lost it! I was in such tears and she asked me if I was OK. I told her, "Yes, it has just been such an emotional roller coaster." She went on to confirm that we are indeed having a little girl.
To be honest, at this point I don't even know what to say. I immediately gave a prayer of gratitude for being blessed with another healthy child.
A couple of days ago we decided on her full name. She will be Reagen Dorothy Smith. Dorothy is my mom's name, as well as her aunt's, and it means 'gift from God.' We knew that whether she had down syndrome or not, we were still blessed to be able to have another daughter, and has always been our 'gift from God' since the day she was conceived. Oh how blessed my family is.

3 comments:

Marlo said...

Awesome!!!!! Just soooooo incredible happy for you! (boy with all you've gone through this past year... you're gonna be tough as nails Jen!!)

Lani said...

That is such GREAT news Jen!! You've been through a lot these past few weeks! So now it's time to just sit back and enjoy this pregnancy! (As much as someone can in the Bakersfield heat!)

DOLLCASA said...

I was so glad to read your post. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes great and I am so excited to eventually see a picture of Reagen Dorothy (what a cute name!).