Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Amino

I was pretty calm all day considering my appointment wasn't until 1:00 p.m. I think I only had about three anxiety attacks before I got there! I started with genetic counseling, which was actually very helpful. They went over the results of my actual AFP test with me, and determined that the odds are 2 in 10 that Reagen has down syndrome. Then, I went through the ultrasound, which showed no markers for down syndrome. Her heart, brain, and kidneys are all fine. I got a bit of relief out of that. It does not mean that she is free of down syndrome, but if she does have it, there are no major defect with her heart, kidney, and no cysts on her brain! Then came the amino....I was so nervous. It actually was not that bad. The initial prick of the needle only hurt like when you blood is being drawn. However, when he went through my uterus, it was a bit of paralyzing pain! I started singing my favorite hymn to myself, and by the time I got through the first verse of "How Firm A Foundation" it was all over with! I was shocked that it went so quickly! Now, we only have to wait two to three weeks for the results! Thank you to all who kept me in their thoughts and prayers. I felt a lot of comfort and strength today!

3 comments:

Lani said...

That's such great news about the ultrasound! I'm glad you felt everyone's love and concern for you AND for darling little Reagen (such a cute name, even if it has 6 letters!)

Unknown said...

Jen, it's nice to hear they had some good news for you. Your such a strong person, I wish I could be there for you though. We will keep you and Reagan in our prayers.

Marlo said...

Oh it was great to hear how well things went at the Dr's on Tues. Jen. I'm glad you were able to feel comfort, love and strength through it all. hope you got your nice relaxing day yesterday... with no worries and lots of rest!!
ps Kyler remembers you and your baby in all his prayers, it's soooo sweet!!