Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Taking Time To Smell The Roses!

I remember when Ethan was a toddler and we lived in Ojai at the time. He used to love to take walks up and down the street to discover all the things nature had to offer. He used to love to go next door and 'smell the roses.' This was a fun and easy time for me with only one child, and I used to enjoy this daily outing with him.
On Monday, Wyatt had a doctor appointment, and we arrived there early. I needed to get my blood drawn, but quickly realized that the place I needed to go was in fact a ways away from where we parked at the doctors office. But, since I am always early, I decided that I would walk with Averi and Wyatt there. I strapped Wy in his stroller, and set out with Averi on foot downtown Bakerfield. We only had to walk about five blocks to get there, but it was such a wonderful time with Averi. The entire way, she stopped and noticed all of the flower blooming, and had to smell everyone. She noticed all the blossoms falling off the trees, and the rose bushes that haven't started blooming yet. On the way back to the doctors office, she loved all the big houses that are now office buildings, and had to know what each one was. We happened to walk by a rest home, and she looked inside and waved to all the older people eating breakfast. She learned what lantana is, and could even pick it out of the rest of the flowers by the time our adventure ended. I had such a good time doing this simple walk with my kids, taking time to just enjoy the things downtown that I have never noticed before no matter how many times I had driven by, that I even arrived a bit late to Wyatt's appointment. Now, if you know me, that is a huge no-no!
Then, I realized to myself....why has it been so long since I have done this with my children? Life gets so busy that I forget the little but extremely important things like 'stopping to smell the roses!' It was by far the best day of the week that I have had and the most relaxing in a very long time. Therefore, I encourage all busy moms to just stop and smell the roses with their little ones. In the short time it takes, I guarantee that you will learn so much about your small children!

2 comments:

Marlo said...

Thanks Jen, I was thinking kinda a long those same lines the other day... of just finding happiness and joy in the present... no matter what is happening. Having an attitute of Gratitude. (it didn't last too long, but was one of those whisperings from the spirit that I need to work on big time) so thanks for sharing and that reminds me I never called you back last night, sorry, I'm calling you right now!!

Lani said...

Jen that was so sweet! You have been keeping me on track lately! First helping me realize not to hate scouts and now helping to remind me to just ENJOY being a mom!
Thanks!!
Oh yea-who's your doctor for this little baby?
I'm still so excited for you!