Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3 Strikes And You're Out!!!! (Dedicated to Lani)

After having Wyatt, Lani brought over this delicious meal for Steve and me. It was chicken with rice. It was so good, that Steve and I argued over the last of it, me only winning when I exclaimed, "I just had a baby, therefore, I get the last of the dinner!"
I have asked Lani for the recipe, and she tells me that I basically cook chicken in a crock pot with Italian dressing all day, and then serve it over rice. How hard could that be????? Well, for me it is impossible! Now, I am no dummy in the kitchen and I can hold my own when it come to cooking. But, I have tried this recipe two times before (a couple of months ago) and it never turns out. How can I possibly mess up a crock pot dinner twice?
So, I decided the third time is a charm. Yesterday, I took the chicken, put in it the crock pot, covered it with zesty Italian dressing, and let it cook. Steve was going to be home late, so I set the table for the kids and me, and served the chicken over rice.
Of course, Ethan would only eat the rice, but Averi was all excited about the chicken. Gavin will basically eat anything put in front of him. I took one bite, and choked it down. I watched Gavin and Averi eat a bite. I took my second bite, and thought I was going to throw up! It was nasty! I looked at Gavin who was very slowly trying to eat, and I said, "this is not good!' He responded, 'no mom, this is disgusting!"
I laughed so hard, because Gavin never complains about dinner. Low and behold, we threw it away and headed to McDonald's!
In my life, I guess it more like three strikes and you're out! Lani, you really need to teach me how to do this dinner before I sign up for 'Cooking With Cora' classes!

2 comments:

Lani said...

Oh Jen! How I love you!!!
I still think that it only tasted super yummy to you and Steve because it was the first meal you had after getting home from having a baby and lets face it--EVERYTHING tastes good after you've just had a baby!
And I don't think you're doing it wrong, I'm probably just giving you horrible instructions.
So I think what I need to do is fly down there and help you make it! If it doesn't turn out there's always Olive Garden to make us feel better, Cheesecake anyone?!!!

Marlo said...

I remember that chicken, it is yummy! (but I've never made it myself) Maybe it just needs Lani's special touch... Yes you just go ahead and fly on down here Lani.... we need you and miss you! (or maybe I'll just kid nap you next week when I'm in Utah)ha ha!!watch out Lani!