Thursday, November 6, 2008

Please Don't Preach Hate!

WARNING!!!! If you can't let things roll of your back, or if you don't have a sense of humor, or better yet, if you don't understand my sense of humor....DON'T READ THIS!!!!!!! (I have already edited it and toned it down twice before publishing it) I will admit, I am on a tirade, and I am sure I will calm down a bit tomorrow!

I have to say, that I am utterly amazed at certain people, especially some Mormons, and how they think it is o.k. to preach hate. Yes, this has everything to do with the election! Now, for all of the people who know me, you all know that I am very passionate about politics, but even in that passion, I would never preach hate against any politician. You all know that I am a huge Obama fan, and I celebrated his victory! Go Obama...and yes, Go Prop 8! (I was very excited that it passed, especially after trailing in the polls so much).

Let me tell a little story: Ethan, knowing how much of an Obama fan that I am, came home from school on election day, and said, "Mom, John McCain is a bad person. Savanna at school told me he did something really bad, but she wouldn't tell me what it was." Now, being the sarcastic person that I am, I could have said a few choice words to support what 'Savanna' said at school. However, I took Ethan aside, and explained that Savanna was wrong. I went on to tell him all about John McCain, and how he served his country through war, how he became a prisoner of that war, how he was tortured to the point where to this day he can't lift his hands above his head. I told him about his home life, and how his wife and him were willing to adopt a child not of their race and raise her as their own. And finally I told Ethan how he has served his country through politics........My point being, I didn't want my son judging McCain or thinking he was a bad person! And, let me remind everyone that it would be a cold day in he!! before I ever voted for the man! Now this story has nothing to do with some of the things that members have been saying, because as far as I know, Savanna is not a member. It is just merely an example on how to change a negative situation into a positive one, and I hope I accomplished that in the things I told Ethan!

My tirade meaning....let us all remember who we are...members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! Let us remember and be influenced not only in our thoughts but in what we say to others, by the example of Jesus Christ. Did he ever preach or speak hate of anyone? Are we his example when we do so?

I know I sound holier than thou, and I really don't mean to come off that way. I know that I am far from being a perfect person, and I have many flaws! I am just amazed at some of the things that I hear people, and yes, members of the church, saying. (I also know this does not apply to everyone!!!!!!!) If you don't like Obama or the outcome of the election, that is your right. But, if you are going to be speaking hate, writing hate, or yelling hate off the rooftop of your house....not only do I personally not want to hear it! But, I think we need to remember what we as members represent, and what we are ultimately striving for, and if the words we speak bring us any closer to that goal!

Again, I state clearly that I know I am far from perfect and my tirade is not directed at everyone! I just feel as though we all need to think about what we are portraying when we speak hate. Like the primary song goes, "if the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?"

I hope I have not offended anyone, because I value and cherish my friendships.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jen, ok you totally brought me to tears. I could be a little hormonal at the moment too and miss everyone.

But anyway, I thought that was an awesome post in standing for what you believe in politically and spiritually. Exactly, "If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say". What a perfect saying!!!

Although I had no clue who to vote for this election. From the beginning I liked one and then was worried at the outcome so voted the other direction.

I can say I am happy for the outcome, for the "Movement" that is taking place not only for African Americans but also for the United States!

Like President Elect Obama said it will not be easy and he will need our help, I think it is good to have change and new views even if we don't agree with all of them. (I'm not talking about any specific topic). Just like I wouldn't agree with all of McCain's views.

I think it was great how you did not sink down and go off on McCain and you did say the things you did as if the Savior was standing beside you.

We all no none of us are perfect and I know you are not being "Holier than thou" lol

Gracie came home from school telling us that someone said something about Obama and I had to straighten her out. I also got an email about Obama that wasn't true and sent it back to everyone telling them they should verify emails they receive, at www.snopes.com before spreading false stories. Especially at such a crucial time.

Great post!!!

Love Ya; Bye!! ;)

Lani said...

Love it. Read my comment on the other post!!